The Valparaiso University Alumni Association solicits nominations for the awards from all alumni, former award recipients, and other members of the University community. An alumni award committee comprised of the VUAA Board of Directors reviews the materials submitted for each candidate and selects nominees whose achievements fit the category for which they have been nominated and who are deemed most deserving of recognition. The names of those selected are then recommended to the Association’s Board of Directors and the University president for action.
The deliberations of the awards committee and the board are kept confidential. Those individuals chosen to receive awards will be honored during the Homecoming and Reunion Weekend worship service or at another appropriate time.
Nominations may be submitted electronically or by mail (see below). Your nomination should include:
- A completed nomination form with your name and address and that of your nominee and her or his supporters.
- The candidate’s curriculum vitae or resume (if available and appropriate), plus any other information you feel will be relevant to the committee's decision.
- Letters of support (optional) from others who know your nominee and of her or his accomplishments (see below for more information).
Letters of Support
Additional references can be an integral part of the nomination process. If you desire, you may have two other individuals provide letters of support. You can either provide the letters with your nomination packet or make certain that supporters send their letters directly to the Valparaiso University Alumni Association address below. Letters that comment knowledgeably about the individual’s specific achievements are the most important and helpful. Possible contacts include professional colleagues and fellow volunteers, former students, former classmates, and friends. Please share the criteria for the awards and the suggestions listed below with those writing letters in support of your nominee.
Supporters should answer the same basic questions:
- What is your relationship to the candidate, and how have you gained your knowledge of her or his accomplishments?
- Which of your candidate’s achievements fulfill the criteria for one of the Valparaiso University Alumni Association awards?
- What impact has your candidate had on the profession, service, or community in which he/she has been active? In general terms, please explain the impact of the candidate’s work.
- Do you know what relationship the individual has maintained with the University, its faculty, students, or other alumni since graduation?
- Has your candidate’s work had an influence on the broader community beyond her or his own sphere of vocational or volunteer achievement?
- Why is this an appropriate time for the individual’s achievements to be recognized?
The online Nomination Form will be available December 2017. Click here for a downloadable version of the Nomination Form.